- the light changes. It's lower and softer and golden.
- the geraniums are getting leggy. You vow to take cuttings and successfully overwinter them.
- pumpkin-flavored foods appear. My local ice-cream emporium already exhausted their first batch. Come back later. In other pumpkin-related news, my mailbox is now surrounded by (mini?) pumpkins and possibly a watermelon. Ah the joys of being Mrs. Compost King.
- family members suddenly demand their favorite hand-knit socks. You will have to review the rules regarding laundry temperature and agitation so as to reduce the risk of felting. Again.
- the very tops of trees up by the Green have red spots.
- visions of pot roast dance in your head.
- shiny bags of bite-size candy block every aisle of every store, much like they will later block your arteries. You vow not to give out candy this year, especially to anyone not wearing "full costume." A mask doesn't cut it, Kid---you know who you are!
Any favorite harbingers of all things autumn? Let's hear it.